Previous names

  • 1937 - 1958 C10
  • 1958 - 1963 Destiny
  • 1963 - 1988 Affluence
Certificate no 679
Status National Historic Fleet
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Sharpness
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Built in 1937
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
20.98 feet (6.40 m)
Depth
9.11 feet (2.78 m)
Length: Overall
87.00 feet (26.54 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

THOMAS was built as ONER II by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby, in 1937 and was purchased in 1938 by the Admiralty (and renamed C10) as their first motor tug, for use on fleet fuelling duties at Portsmouth.

During the Second World War, she assisted with the laying of the Pluto oil pipeline to France, and with the movement of Mulberry harbour sections.

In 1958, she was renamed DESTINY and was part of the Port Auxiliary Service from 1959, remaining on her previous duties at the Forton Oil Depot, Gosport until 1961 when she was replaced by the new motor tug Alice.

On 13 November 1963, DESTINY was sold to H. G. Pounds, Portsmouth, who later resold her to Husbands Shipyard Ltd, Marchwood, for commercial service under the name AFFLUENCE. By 1988, she was owned by Star Tug & Marine Co. Ltd and used for film work.

In 1991, she was sold to a Swansea businessman, who refitted her and renamed her THOMAS. In 2005, she was later sold to her current owner and is undergoing an ongoing refit.

Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Mar 2011.

Although this vessel is on the National Historic Fleet, we are currently lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.

Sources

McCall, Bernard, Tugs Around Britain, Bernard McCall, 1996
Ships Monthly: Just Tugs, 1995

Key dates

  • 1937

    Built by Cochrane & Sons of Selby

  • 1938

    Bought by Admiralty and renamed C10

  • 1939/1945

    Served during Second World War

  • 1958

    Renamed DESTINY and became part of the Port Auxiliary Service at Portsmouth

  • 1963

    Sold to Pounds of Portsmouth and then to Husbands of Marchwood.  Renamed AFFLUENCE

  • 1988

    Owned by Star Tug & Marine Co

  • 1991

    Changed ownership, refitted and renamed THOMAS

  • 2005

    Sold to new owner, ongoing refit work

Grants

  • January 2010

    A Sustainability Award of £1000 was made to THOMAS from the Strategic Development Fund towards the cost of hull repairs

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk