Previous names

  • 1895 Aura
Certificate no 735
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Hong Kong
Vessel type Ketch
Archive reason Overseas Watch List
Current use Unknown
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Stow & Sons, Shoreham
Built in 1895
Hull material Wood
Rig Bermudan Ketch
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
12.98 feet (3.96 m)
Depth
9.38 feet (2.86 m)
Length: Overall
71.97 feet (21.95 m)
Tonnage: Gross
84.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

RONA, now a bermudan ketch but originally built as the 72ft (22m) gaff yawl, AURA, by Stow and Sons of Shoreham in 1895. Her old clipper bow was modified to the current spoon shape by Morgan Giles some time before 1950.

Her old clipper bow was modified to the current spoon shape by Morgan Giles some time before 1950. First registered at Shoreham in 1895 she was re-registered when she had an engine installed - 27 in 1903 at Liverpool. A Perkins engine was fitted around 1945.

She has had various owners and in the1960's she was owned by Right Honorable Dereck Viscount Amory, and on his death in 1986 the ownership dto Sir Ian Heathcoat Amory. In 1996 she was sold to Graham Blair, and in1997 sold to Mr M G Gowerby in sale organised by Berthon International.

Whilst in the ownership of Lord Amory she took part in the royal fleet review in the 70s and sailed with such vessels as tall  ships Winston Churchill  and Malcom Miller.

Although this vessel is on the Overseas Watch List we are lacking information.  If you have any information passed or present please contact us.

 

 

Sources

Classic Boat; Rona nearly ready, February 1996  

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Vega of Garth - moored

Registered, built 1965 by Gordon Armstrong Marine, Scarborough

Irene - out sailing after completion of restoration project

Registered, built 1907 by Carver, J F, Bridgwater

Emblem underway

Registered, built 1933 by Forbes, J & G Ltd, Sandhaven

Maybe - under sail

Archived, built 1929 by De Vries Lentsch