Previous names

  • 1898 - 1970 Esperanza
Certificate no 74
Status National Historic Fleet
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Launch
Location River Thames
Vessel type Saloon Launch
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Bond, J, Maidenhead
Built in 1898
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Steam
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Steam
Boiler type Drum Water Tube
Boilermaker John Ashton, Wallingford
Boiler year 1980

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
24.59 feet (7.50 m)
Depth
3.61 feet (1.10 m)
Length: Overall
51.97 feet (15.85 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

THAMES ESPERANZA has been on the Thames for more than a century. Between 1910 and 1913, she was looked after by Lawrence Carr of the Ray Motor Company at Boulter’s Lock. She was owned by Bond of Maidenhead between 1920 and 1940 and converted from electric to petrol engine. Subsequently bought by Golding Bros. of Windsor, she was used as a tripper boat until 1968. Lawrence Weaver bought her in 1968 and found extensive areas of wet rot, a fractured keel, and dry rot in the stern cockpit. He put in a new inner skin, replaced a third of the inner planking, and fitted all new frames, stringers, keel, stern and all internal teak planking. A new plant was also installed. Further restoration work, including refurbishment of the superstructure and internal panelling, has been undertaken by the current owner.

Although this vessel is on the National Historic Fleet, we are currently lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.

Sources

Steamboat Register: An illustrated Register of surviving steam vessels in the British Isles (May Edition 6, 1994) pub: Steam Boat Association of Great Britain
Edward Hawthorne, Electric Boats on the Thames Alan Sutton Publishing Co Ltd (1995) pub: Alan Sutton Publishing Co Ltd

Key dates

  • 1898

    Built by J. Bond of Maidenhead and named ESPERANZA

  • 1911

    Vessel damaged by fire

  • 1920/1940

    Owned by Bonds of Maidenhead, converted from electric to petrol engine

  • 1968

    Acquired as a trip boat

  • 1968/1970

    Hull restored and plant fitted by L. J. M. Weaver. Vessel renamed THAMES ESPERANZA

  • 1991

    Acquired by new owners

  • 1999

    Vessel rebuilt

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Lily - underway on the Avon

Registered, built 1933 by Borwick & Co, Windermere

Spray at Waterhead

Registered, built 1920 by Borwick & Co, Windermere

Constance - underway (c) Gweek Classic Boatyard 2019

Registered, built 1895 by Guy, Henry, Cowes

MY GIRL August 2009

Registered, built 1931 by Mitchell Brothers, Mevagissey