Certificate no 746
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Dredger
Location Brightlingsea
Vessel type Oyster Smack
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea
Built in 1885
Hull material
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
12.00 feet (3.20 m)
Depth
5.67 feet (1.73 m)
Length: Overall
45.00 feet (13.41 m)
Tonnage: Gross
16.00
Air Draft
64.00 feet (19.51 m)

History

ALBERTA was built in 1885 by Aldous of Brightlingsea as a cutter rigged oyster smack. She is registered as CK 318.

She worked much of her life, for the latter part under engine. Over the period 2002 - 2004 she was fully restored and rebuilt. She is now in use as a Yacht and races in the East coast regattas. She is a regular winner.

We are lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.

Sources

Old Gaffer's Association Member's Handbook and Boat Archive (1993)
Classic Boat (December, 2010) Season round-up

Key dates

  • 1885

    Built by Aldous & Sons

  • 2002

    Vessel restored

  • 2010

    Vessel won her class on elapsed time in the 38th Swale Barge Match at Harty Ferry

  • 2013

    Fully restored including the rig to the correct top mast rig by present owner and is in regular use for leisure and racing in the east coast regattas

     

     

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Gamecock moored

Registered, built 1907 by Collar, Whitstable

ETHEL ALICE - under sail. Starboard side

Registered, built 1897 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

Thistle out sailing

Registered, built 1908 by Whitstable Shipbuilding Co, Whitstable

DUSMARIE - on home mooring. Port side.

Archived, built 1884 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea