The hub's first project was the restoration of M/L Terrier for use as a water taxi between Oulton Broad and Lowestoft. This was set up to fulfil a much needed service, especially at peak times where other traditional transport services are restricted due to holiday traffic and and peak rush hours. Terrier's restoration employed two Shipwrights full time and two trainees.
Originally dating back to 1954, Terrier is on the National Register of Historic Vessels and was used in Glasgow and the Clyde as a motor launch. She was built with a Helmsman’s cabin, amidships and a semi open area aft for passengers. She came to IBTC a couple of years ago from Clyde Marine Services LTD where she was worked regularly and it was time for her retirement.
She is a full displacement vessel and would originally have had a single motor capable of cruising speeds around 5.5 knots (6.6mph) which makes her very efficient and an ideal candidate for a hybrid conversion.