Sailing Barge May


About Sailing Barge May


The Thames Sailing Barge May was built by John & Herbert Cann of Harwich, Essex and launched in 1891.  After a long working history as a cargo carrier, marine training and hospitality venue, May was taken over by Connie and Gerald Gadd in 2011 and is now being restored by The Bread and Roses CIC team as a community hub run by women for women.  She is currently moored at St Osyth Boatyard, Clacton-on-Sea.  May is now owned by the CIC, with an asset locked guarantee that will secure her future, enabling her to be of continued benefit to the communities that she will visit.


About The Bread and Roses CIC


The Bread and Roses Barge team
The Bread and Roses team at St. Osyth Boatyard.  L-R: Jane Harman, Connie Gadd and Helen Swift. Photo by Rachel Debont.


Together, The Bread and Roses CIC aim to restore Sailing Barge May to give the opportunity for women to come together and share in the art of sourdough baking aboard.  Their goal is to become a regular visitor to communities along May's historic trading routes of the East Coast, building friendships and support networks along the way. The team intend to offer the facility to groups and organisations working tirelessly to improve the lives of women and their families who have suffered trauma and need a safe space to help move forward.  Workshops, classes and talks held aboard May so far include yoga, clay workshops, life drawing, splicing, breast cancer and menopause awareness, embroidery, and regular meetings for the local Carers Support Group and Women's Institute.


SPlicing workshop
A women's splicing workshop aboard SB May



Find out more:


Follow them on social media: