Certificate no 214
Status National Historic Fleet
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Ipswich
Vessel type Spritsail Barge
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No
Web address www.sailingbargemay.co.uk

Construction

Builder Cann, John & Herbert, Harwich
Built in 1891
Hull material Wood
Rig Spritsail
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
18.98 feet (5.79 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
80.95 feet (24.69 m)
Tonnage: Gross
70.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

In her early years, MAY worked for the Cranfield Brothers, flour millers of Ipswich, and traded principally in grain between the London Docks and the owners' mills in Ipswich.

Between the end of the Second World War and January 1964, she carried general cargoes before being bought by Silvertown Services Lighterage Ltd (now a subsidiary of Tate & Lyle).  She regularly carried sugar to the Isle of Wight and was also used for training apprentices and for company hospitality; a passenger certificate and loadline exemption allows the barge to be underway with up to 40 passengers within the smooth water limits around the UK and the continent.

In 1972 she carried 50 tonnes of Portland stone for the restoration of St Paul's Cathedral and a few years later, in 1976, she was transported to the Canadian lakes for the Olympic Games.

Now in private hands, MAY is available for private charter and is regularly seen on the River Thames.

Sources

Carr, Frank, Sailing Barges, 1971
Hugh Perks, Richard, Sprts'l: A Portrait of Sailing Barges and Sailormen, Conway Maritime Press, 1975
Wood, D G, Barges Sailing Today: Sailing Barge Information Pamplet No: 1, Society for Spritsail Barge Research, 1995
Classic Boat: Thames Barge Match, September 2005
Classic Boat: Thames Barging, September 1998

Key dates

  • 1891

    Vessel built by John & Herbert Cann, Bathside, Gashouse Creek, Harwich

  • 1912-c1945

    Worked for the Cranfield Brothers, flour millers of Ipswich, trading principally in grain between the London Docks

  • 1964

    Bought by Silvertown Services Lighterage Ltd. (now a subsidiary of Tate & Lyle) for regular use carrying sugar to the Isle of Wight

  • 1972

    Carried 50 tonnes of Portland stone for the restoration of St Paul’s Cathedral

  • 1976

    Transported to the Canadian lakes for the Olympic Games

  • 2011

    In private hands and available for charter

  • 2012

    Vessel selected to take part in the Avenue of Sail, Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012

Grants

  • September 2013

    A Sustainability Grant of £1500 for remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK

  • April 2011

    A Sustainability grant of £1000 was awarded for remedial work from the Stategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships

  • October 2010

    Vessel used to carry judges and sponsored down the Thames to Greenwich on photography competition Award Ceremony day

  • April 2009

    A Sustainability Grant of £2000 for cabin hatchment was made from the Straegic Development Fund of National Historic Ships

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Scone - underway

Spritsail Barge built 1919 by London & Rochester Barge Co, Rochester

Lady Daphne - in St Katharine's Dock

Spritsail Barge built 1923 by Short Brothers, Rochester

Reminder - port side view, underway, Essex.

Spritsail Barge built 1929 by Horlock, F W, Mistley

Pudge - stern side view.

Spritsail Barge built 1922 by London & Rochester Barge Co, Rochester