Previous names

  • 1950 - 1975 Lux
Certificate no 1165
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Northwich
Vessel type Tanker
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1950
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
22.92 feet (6.99 m)
Breadth: Beam
22.92 feet (6.99 m)
Depth
8.00 feet (2.44 m)
Length: Overall
100.16 feet (30.55 m)
Tonnage: Gross
112.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

SAFE HAND was the last steam engine built for service on the Mersey and became the last steam vessel in service with the Lever Brothers fleet. She was built in 1950 by W. J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd, Northwich, as the steam tank abrge LUX for Lever Brothers, to carry crude vegetable oils from the Mersey ports to Lever's facility at Port Sunlight. In February 1965, she was converted to diesel at Birkenhead and continued to work for Lever Brothers until December 1984 being renamed SAFE HAND in 1975. Her cargo-carrying facilities are two tanks, capable of storing Mersey Tanker Lighterage (Logantnor Ltd) carrying vegetable oils in Liverpool and Birkenhead docks.

As of June 2019, SAFE HAND was reported to be in private ownership, currently on Saltersford locks mooring awaiting for engineering works to complete before spending time in Yarwoods basin where she is to undergo refit and conversion.

Sources

Lloyds Register of Ships 1997-8, Lloyd's of London, pp493, Volume A-G, 1998  

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Sabina H - next to Sobriety

Registered, built 1929 by Dunston, Richard, Thorne

Archived, built 1957 by Harker Ltd, John, Knottingley

Archived, built 1950 by Hill, Charles & Sons, Bristol

port bow

Archived, built 1878 by A E Russell