Previous names

  • 1929 Sabina H
Certificate no 3561
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Beverley
Vessel type Tanker
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Dunston, Richard, Thorne
Built in 1929
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
66.00 feet (20.12 m)
Tonnage: Gross
80.00

History

SABINA H was built in 1929 as a 100 ton dumb tanker barge by Richard Dunstons of Thorne.  She was then rebuilt as a motorised tanker barge in 1934 by Harkers of Knottingley and in 1934 registered at Hull No.163184 as gross tonnage of 68 tons, powered by a 36 BHP engine.   

SABINA H was used as a petrol tanker running to Brig on the River Ancholm until the late 1950's or early 1960's, when she was then sold to Peter Horlock, of Mistley, and eventually sold out of trade. 

She was re-decked circa 1960 with her bow replated in the 1990s to her original frames and lines, with some bottom doubling and some hull plating repairs included.  A larger wheelhouse and a new engine was installed in the 2000s.

SABINA H has always worked on UK waters, the first 20 plus years in the Humber area, then Suffolk and Essex coasts for a further 30 years.  She then was sold into private ownership before becoming derelict in the Thames during the 90's, then recovered and extensively restored, firstly ashore in Barking, then at Benfleet.

 

 

Key dates

  • 1929

    Vessel built as a 100 ton tanker dumb barge by Dunston's of Thorne

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

SAFE HAND port bow

Registered, built 1950 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

port side view

Registered, built 1946 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

STOUR port side view

Registered, built 1937 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Uxbridge

Archived, built 1957 by Harker Ltd, John, Knottingley