Certificate no 1436
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Birmingham
Vessel type Butty
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Harland & Wolff Ltd, Woolwich
Built in 1936
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Towed
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
6.98 feet (2.13 m)
Depth
1.25 feet (0.38 m)
Length: Overall
71.44 feet (21.79 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

ALPERTON is a narrow boat butty built by Harland & Wolf Ltd. at Woolwich and delivered to the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. in August 1936. Her hull is made of riveted steel with a wooden cabin and she has a pointed bow with a plumb curved stem and a pointed stern. She was registered at Coventry as number 544 and was fleet number 207 and gauging number 12573. She was named after Alperton near London. ALPERTON was one of twenty-four similar vessels known as the Town or Woolwich class. One of these has now been completely scrapped and at least two others have had a counter stern and engines fitted. Some have been converted to houseboats. ALPERTON, with her motor the DARLEY, carried cargoes from Birmingham to London until 1948 when British Waterways took over. By the 1950s, she lay disused in the Wendover arm of the canal until the Union Canal Company bought her for carrying and use on camping holidays. The wooden cabin was restored in 1972. The present owner purchased the vessel in 1980.

We are lacking information about this particular vessel.  If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.

Key dates

  • 1936

    Built by Harland & Wolff at Woolwich

  • 1936/1950s

    Worked for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co.

  • 1980

    Bought by current Owner

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Out on dabchick

Registered, built 1930 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

stern view

Registered, built 1934 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

As the Chester Packet circa 1971

Registered, built 1935 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Woolwich

RAYMOND port quarter

Registered, built 1958 by Barlow Coal Company, Samuel, Braunston, Daventry