Designed by G L Watson, H F BAILEY was built by Groves & Gutteridge in 1934 at Cowes. Donated by Henry Francis Bailey of Brockenhurst at a cost of £7307 14s the lifeboat entered service at Cromer on 12 December 1935 as No1 lifeboat under Cox’n Henry Blogg. Launched over 125 times, she saved 514 lives during World War II. She was transferred to Helwick Head (Eire) in 1946. After about 12 years’ service, she was transferred to the reserve fleet until 1969 when she was sold to the RMC Group and put on display at Thorpe Water Sport Park in Surrey. Since 1994 she has been on display at Cromer No 2 Boathouse.
Classic Boat: H F Bailey's new home, April 2004
Built by Groves & Gutteridge of Cowes as a Watson type lifeboat, donated by Henry Francis Bailey of Brockenhurst
Served as No 1 lifeboat under Coxswain Henry Blogg at Cromer and was launched 154 times saving some 500 lives
Vessel saved 101 crew of SS MERIONES following bombing by German aircraft
Transferred to Helwick Head Lifeboat Station in CoWaterford, Republic of Ireland
Served as Helwick Head lifeboat where she saved 12 lives
Transferred to the reserve fleet until 1972
Sold to the RMC Group and was put on display at Thorpe Water Sport Park in Surrey
Sold to Peter Cadbury and returned to Cromer
On display at Cromer No 2 Boathouse
After restoration, moved to the newly built RNLI Henry Blogg Museum
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com