Certificate no 1603
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Trawler
Location Anstruther
Vessel type MFV
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Thompson, George & Son, Buckie
Built in 1952
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Ketch
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
18.59 feet (5.67 m)
Depth
9.25 feet (2.82 m)
Length: Overall
64.95 feet (19.81 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

BRITANNIA is a motor fishing vessel, built by George Thomson & Son at Buckie in 1952. She is a typical design from that era and was so common that no plans were drawn for her construction. She was commissioned for work as a seine netter and was later converted to a trawler. BRITANNIA fished around the East and West Coast of Scotland and had an unremarkable service life. Her hull is carvel built with larch planking and oak frames. She has a cruiser stern and a plumb straight stem. The current engine is an inboard four-stroke Gardner 6L3B diesel with six cylinders and one hundred and seventy-two brake horsepower, made in 1967. BRITANNIA is currently in full working order, although all her fishing gear has been removed and a mizen mast and sail have been fitted. Update, August 2020: Vessel reported partially sunk at her moorings by member of the public

Key dates

  • 1952

    Built by G Thompson of Buckie

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

starboard side view

Registered, built 1943 by Curtis, Frank, Looe

Jean Adair in boatyard undergoing timber repair work to hull

Registered, built 1949 by Palmer, A, Portavogie

Black Cat II sailing

Registered, built 1943 by Hepburn, James & Son, Aberdeen

Progress of Whitby - bow. Taken 2010 after launch.

Registered, built 1935 by Reekie, Walter, Anstruther