Previous names

  • 1970 Tracey Lee
Certificate no 2794
Status Registered


Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Harbour Defence Launch
Location Dartmouth
Vessel type MFV
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Unknown
Built in 1944
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 0
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None
Boiler fuel diesel


Length: Overall
49.83 feet (15.19 m)
Breadth: Beam
15.25 feet (4.65 m)
6.25 feet (1.91 m)
Air Draft
31.00 feet (9.45 m)
Tonnage: Gross


WILD GOOSE is thought to have been built in 1944 as an Admiralty MFV and is a vessel of timber carvel construction, powered by a Foden FD6 Mk 1 diesel engine. Although the present owner has no evidence, it is believed that she was sent to Malta on completion, and was rebuilt at Toughs yard in 1971.

The vessel is undergoing substantial repair/replacement of rotted timber frames/planks/bulwarks, updating electrical wiring and making good poor quality below-deck accommodation. There is currently in progress a general overhaul of her mechanical parts, which includes the installation of a small marine generator. A new deckhouse roof and mizzenmast is underway and, on completion, she will be recaulked and repainted.

Key dates

  • 1944

    Bult as a Harbour Defence Launch for the Admiralty. Year and builder not established

  • 1944

    Thought to have been sent to Malta on completion

  • 1971

    Vessel rebuilt at Toughs Boatyard, Teddington

  • 1977

    Thought to have been registered as TRACEY LEE at Port of London Authority

  • 2016

    Returned to water after restoration work completed


  • 2015

    A sustainability grant of £1000 for re-caulking was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships  UK

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Britannia - starboard side

Registered, built 1952 by Thompson, George & Son, Buckie

starboard side view

Registered, built 1943 by Curtis, Frank, Looe

Jean Adair in boatyard undergoing timber repair work to hull

Registered, built 1949 by Palmer, A, Portavogie

Black Cat II sailing

Registered, built 1943 by Hepburn, James & Son, Aberdeen