Certificate no 1615
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location NONE
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Archive reason Disposed
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Tarbert
Built in 1911
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
11.48 feet (3.50 m)
Length: Overall
51.84 feet (15.81 m)
Tonnage: Gross
25.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

KAMI-NO-MICHI is a gentleman's motor yacht, built by A. Dickie at Tarbert on Loch Fyne in 1911. She was designed by J. A. MacCallum and was registered with the official number 129565 and the call sign MCED. In later years, she operated as a tourist boat, offering trips around the distilleries of the Scottish islands. Her hull is carvel built of pitch pine with sawn oak frames. She has a pointed bow and a raked straight stem with a cruiser stern. Her one timber mast has a steadying sail rigged and the current engine is a Gardner inboard diesel, with six cylinders and seventy-two brake horsepower, made in 1954.

In the mid-1950s, KAMI-NO-MICHI was moored on the Menai Straits at Beaumaris, Angelsey and was in regular use there.  She was owned by Charlie Mack (C.G. Mack) who was the chairman of the Liverpool and North Wales Steamship Company.  The company's pleasure steamers operated regular tourist sailings between Liverpool and the Menai Bridge during the summer months and these ships swept past KAMI-NO-MICHI's moorings, just north east of Gallows Point.

Although this vessel has been disposed, we are lacking information on this particular vessel.  If you have an past details please contact us.

Sources

Motor Boat and Yachting: A Boat of My Own: Kami-no-Michi, pp36-40, February 1986     

Key dates

  • 1911

    Vessel built by A.Dickie at Tarbert on Loch Fyne

  • 1950s

    Vessel moored on the Menai Straits at Beaumaris, Anglesey

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Valdora - port side view

Archived, built 1935 by Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor

Maimonde - starboard view

Registered, built 1937 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Duessa - port side

National Historic Fleet, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Out of water undergoing repairs

Registered, built 1934 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight