Previous names

  • 1895 - 1914 Molly
  • 1914 - 1939 Undine
  • 1939 - 1945 Watermaiden
  • 1945 - 1979 Undine
  • 1979 - 1990 Undine of Solent
Certificate no 729
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Burnham-on-Crouch
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Camper & Nicholsons Ltd, Southampton
Built in 1897
Hull material Wood
Rig Schooner
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
10.79 feet (3.29 m)
Depth
5.80 feet (1.77 m)
Length: Overall
67.97 feet (20.73 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

The auxiliary steam yacht MOLLY was built in 1897 by Camper & Nicholsons, as a gentleman's yacht. She was sailed in the Solent area and also followed the J-class yacht regattas to other ports. Her hull is carvel construction of pitch pine on oak with teak topsides on oak. She was requisitioned by the Admiralty in 1914 for harbour patrol duties and renamed UNDINE. After the war, she returned to use as a yacht (still named UNDINE) until being requisitioned again in the Second World War, when she was renamed WATERMAIDEN. In 1945, she returned to her owner, her wheelhouse was enlarged, and she reverted to the name UNDINE; in 1947, she was re-engined with an Atlantic diesel. In 1979 she became UNDINE OF SOLENT, a name she retained until 1990, when her accommodation was restored by Tough's and she again became UNDINE. She retains the characteristics of a classic Victorian auxiliary yacht. Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Mar 2011.

This vessel is a survivor from the First World War. You can read more about her wartime history by visiting our First World War: Britain's Surviving Vessels website www.ww1britainssurvivingvessels.org.uk

We are lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.

Sources

Motor Boat and Yachting, August 1980

Key dates

  • 1895

    Motor yacht with schooner rig built by Camper & Nicolson at Cowes

  • 1914

    Requisitioned by Admiralty for harbour guard duties, patrols, and maid of all work

  • 1918

    Returned to pleasure use

  • 1939

    Taken into war effort and renamed WATERMAIDENS as UNDINE was in use for a submarine

  • 1945

    The wheelhouse was enlarged

  • 1947

    Steam engine and boiler removed and vessel re-engined with Atlantic diesel and wing engine 

  • 1990

    All accommodation restored by Tough's

  • 1990s

    Used extensively by present owner throughout Scotland, S England and to France

  • 2011

    Refitted at Burnham Yacht Harbour Marina

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Albaquila sailing

Registered, built 1947 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G