WHITE HEATHER was built by Watson of Gainsborough at Beckenham on the Trent in 1932 for the Borough of St Marylebone as a refuse tug. She is a copy of a tug built in 1908 originally called BIRMINGHAM and then renamed TYBURN, also owned by Marylebone Council. She was originally fitted with a 2 cylinder semi-diesel Robey Lincoln No 46441 which offered 44hp at 400 rpm. She worked on Section 5 in the Paddington area and was registered there as number 330. In 1939 she was taken over by Thomas Clayton of Paddington and worked extensively on refuse disposal to their pits at Hayes, Yeading and West Drayton. WHITE HEATHER passed to British Waterways on nationalisation and, in December 1958, had a Lister Freedon Engine installed which developed 32hp at 1500 rpm. In 1972, she was acquired by T & D Murrells of Adelaide Dock, during which time she cruised extensively around many of the country's canals. She is at present fitted with a Ford 6 cylinder 120 hp engine and is used both as a houseboat and for cruising. She is the only remaining narrow beam tug built for the Regent's Canal and one of only four round bilge canal tugs still in existence.
Built by J. S. Watson of Beckingham near Gainsborough
Worked as a refuse tug for the borough of St Marylebone
Acquired by Thomas Clayton of Paddington
Passed to British Waterways and a Lister Freedom engine installed
Acquired by T. & D. Murrells of Adelaide Dock and used for residential and cruising purposes
Vessel selected for Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com