Certificate no 1658
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Location Newark
Vessel type MFV
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Palmer, A, Portavogie
Built in 1949
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
17.00 feet (5.19 m)
Depth
5.74 feet (1.75 m)
Length: Overall
48.98 feet (14.94 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

JEAN ADAIR was built as a fishing vessel by A. Palmer of Portavogie in 1949 and named after the daughter of her original owner, Fred Adair. She operated as a fishing boat until 1960 when she was sold and, two years later, converted to private use in Malahide. Her hold was decked over and the accommodation was increased. She had various different owners in the next decade and then, in 1973, a fire onboard caused damage so she had to have new decks and her topsides and wheelhouse re-built. The current owner bought her in 1976 and used her for fishing and diving at Poole. In 1979, she was moved to the River Trent and became a houseboat. The topsides were re-designed and re-built in 1982 and a new deck completed in 1995. Her hull timbers have been maintained and some replaced by E. Leggett of Grimsby. She has since been used as advertising for several marine companies. Her hull is carvel built with oak frames and larch planking fastened with iron nails. She has a cruiser stern, and a bluff bow with raked straight stem. Her two timber masts are rigged with lug sails. The current engine is a Foden FD6 marine diesel, with six cylinders and 128 bhp, made in 1962.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Britannia - starboard side

Registered, built 1952 by Thompson, George & Son, Buckie

starboard side view

Registered, built 1943 by Curtis, Frank, Looe

Black Cat II sailing

Registered, built 1943 by Hepburn, James & Son, Aberdeen

Progress of Whitby - bow. Taken 2010 after launch.

Registered, built 1935 by Reekie, Walter, Anstruther