Certificate no 1737
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Redcar
Vessel type Oakley 37 ft Lifeboat
Current use Museum based
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes
Built in 1963
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Unknown
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
11.51 feet (3.51 m)
Length: Overall
37.00 feet (11.28 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


SIR JAMES KNOTT was built as an Oakley twin screw motor lifeboat by Groves and Gutteridge of Cowes Isle of Wight in 1963. She served at Cullercoats from 1963 to 1969, was a relief lifeboat until 1972, became the Redcar lifeboat until 1986 and was a relief lifeboat again until 1989. The lifeboat was in immediate service during her delivery passage from Cowes to Cullercoats when she was called to help a motor cruiser: She saved two people and towed the cruiser into Gorleston. SIR JAMES KNOTT was stored at Dickie's Boat Yard, Bangor from May 1989 and was placed on the RNLI sale list. Since 1990 she has been permanently loaned to the Langburgh-on-Tees Museum Service for display at Kirkleatham Old Hall Museum, Redcar.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Har-Lil 2019 Starboard view

Registered, built 1967 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

The Doctors - port bow view

Archived, built 1965 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

port side view

Registered, built 1961 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight

J G Graves of Sheffield stored at Chatham

Registered, built 1957 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton