Certificate no 1774
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Buckie
Vessel type Oakley 37 ft Lifeboat
Archive reason Historical Potential
Current use Museum based
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Osbourne, William, Littlehampton
Built in 1965
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Unknown
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
11.51 feet (3.51 m)
Length: Overall
37.00 feet (11.28 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

THE DOCTORS is an Oakley twin screw motor lifeboat, built by William Osbourne at Littlehampton in 1960. Her official number was 307849 and her lifeboat number was 983. She served at Anstruther from 1965 and was launched 62 times, saving 21 lives. She was put on display at Buckie Drifter Centre in April 1995.

Key dates

  • 1965

    Oakley class twin screw motor lifeboat 

  • 1965-91

    In service as Anstruther lifeboat 

  • 1991-93

    In service as Anstruther relief lifeboat

  • 1993

    Sold out of service

  • 1995

    On display at the Buckie Drifter Maritime Heritage Centre, Banff, Scotland

  • 1999

    Vessel last seen in enclosure outside the Buckie Drifter Maritime Heritage Centre

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

on the beach

Oakley 37 ft Lifeboat built 1961 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

The Will and Danny Kirby in Chatham Historic Dockyard

Oakley 37 ft Lifeboat built 1963 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Oakley 37 ft Lifeboat built 1964 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight

B&W image

Oakley 37 ft Lifeboat built 1963 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes