WILLIAM CANTRELL ASHLEY is a Liverpool class lifeboat, built by Groves and Gutteridge of Cowes in 1949, . She served at Clovelly, North Devon,and remained in service until 1968, during which time she was launched 38 times and saved 24 lives.
Sold out of service to Essex County Council and renamed ST CHEDD, she was taken to Bradwell Field Studies Centre where she operated as a rescue boat until 1994; then transferred to East Mersea Youth Camp still under Essex County Council. In 1996 she was purchased by Claud Sharp who had her renovated and sailed to Scarborough where she operated as a trip boat.
In 2005 she was bought by Mike Darlington and fitted with twin Betamarine 35 hp diesel engines. She operated successfully along the Cornish coast between Looe, Fowey and Polperro.
In late 2011 she was acquired by her current owner and joined the Hoylake Lifeboat Museum . Permanently moored in Liverpool's historic Albert Dock, the WILLIAM CANTRELL ASHLEY is a floating exhibit for the Museum and is operated for day trippers and enthusiasts.
Built by Groves and Gutteridge on the Isle of Wight for service at Clovelly
Renamed ST CHEDD and taken to Bradwell Field Studies Centre for use as rescue boat
Sold out of service following 38 service launches and 24 lives saved
Transferred to East Mersea Youth Camp still under Essex County Council
Purchased by Claud Sharp, renovated and sailed to Scarborough for use as trip boat
Bought by Mike Darlington and fitted with twin Betamarine 35 hp diesel engines
Acquired by current owner and joined Hoylake Lifeboat Museum. Moored in Albert Dock, Liverpool
Grant withdrawn due to the vessel being up for sale
A Sustainability Award for £1000 towards the costs of repainting in original livery was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org