Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Patrol Boat
Location Newport
Vessel type Admiralty MFV
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Morris, Gosport
Built in 1943
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
18.00 feet (5.49 m)
7.50 feet (2.29 m)
Length: Overall
65.00 feet (19.83 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



MFV 119 is ex-Admiralty and was built in 1943-4 at Morris or Morrisons of Gosport. She went to Omaha beach in 1944 with an American crew and was later used on the wreck of INVINCIBLE, a nearby wreck site to the MARY ROSE project. Her hull is carvel built of larch planking on oak, fastened with iron nails. She has a pointed bow, with a raked straight stem and cruiser stern. She has one deck and a timber mast which can be used as a lifting boom. The hull was engineless, but the owner had a Lister Blackstone EPMG3 with three cylinders and 120 horsepower which was to be installed. In July 2007, the vessel had been reframed with all oak framing, a new beam shelf throughout and has been replanked from the waterline up, with a new sternpost. Two steel watertight bulkheads were fitted at each end of the engine room and the original engine was replaced. Work on the wheelhouse and foredeck was ongoing. It is intended that MFV119 be used as a fully operational motor yacht. In use as holiday let as of July 2019.

Key dates

  • 1943

    Built by Morris, Gosport


  • September 2013

    A Sustainability Grant of £1000 towards the cost of remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships. Source: National Historic Ships

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

MFV 74 - starboard view

Registered, built 1946 by Curtis & Pape, Looe

Navigator - starboard side

Archived, built 1943 by Richards Ironworks Co Ltd, Lowestoft

Scotch Queen sailing

Archived, built 1944 by Humphrey & Smith Ltd, Grimsby

MFV 740 - leaving Harwich Pier

Registered, built 1944 by Bolson, J & Sons Ltd, Poole