Certificate no 1877
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Morcombe
Vessel type Butty
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1935
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Towed
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
7.00 feet (2.14 m)
Depth
1.00 feet (0.31 m)
Length: Overall
71.50 feet (21.81 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

REGULUS is a narrowboat butty, built by W.H. Yarwood & Sons of Northwich and registered at Birmingham as number 1590. Her fleet number was 79b and her gauging number was 12483. She was launched on 14 November 1935 and was commissioned by the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. (GUCCCL). REGULUS was paired with various motors including READING, HALSALL, and SEAFORD. She worked as a maintenance boat in the early 1940s and was transferred to British Waterways with the advent of nationalisation in 1948. She became a work boat on the River Avon and was restored in the 1960s. She returned to carrying, paired with RUFFORD, in 1974. The current owners acquired REGULUS in 1991/1992 and she was re-united with her original motor RADIANT in 1994. REGULUS’ hull is constructed of steel plate riveted together. She has a pointed bow with a raked curved stem and a towing mast. She is in good condition, with a new cabin and bottom to exact original specification, including riveting. She is painted in the original 1935 GUCCCL colour scheme. She was featured in a BBC Radio 4 programme, in which she was horse-drawn from Ellesmere Port to London.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

ALPERTON (foreground) - with motor DARLEY. Stern cabin and tiller  from starboard side.

Registered, built 1936 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Woolwich

TAUNTON in lock

Archived, built 1937 by Walker, W H & Brothers, Rickmansworth

George and Mary alongside each other

Registered, built 1928 by Uxbridge Steel Barrell Company, Middlesex

ILFORD - moored up. Port bow looking aft.

Archived, built 1912 by Braithwaite & Kirk, West Bromwich