Previous names

  • 1942 - 1943 ML1305
Certificate no 1914
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Launch
Location NONE
Vessel type Harbour Defence Motor Launch
Archive reason Disposed
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Wood, Herbert, Potter Heigham
Built in 1942
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
15.00 feet (4.58 m)
Depth
4.50 feet (1.37 m)
Length: Overall
72.00 feet (21.96 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

LEWINA was built in 1941 at Potter Heigham by Herbert Woods Ltd. and was completed in 1943 as naval vessel HDML 1305. She left Milford Haven for the Mediterranean where she was assigned to the 139th Flotilla operating on Special Service duties from Malta and the Tripoli area.

In late 1944, she was fitted for minesweeping and re-assigned to 2nd Division, 141st ML Flotilla. She saw action at Zara in 1945 and accompanied HDML 2187 and HDML 1290, the latter of whom sank one Italian boat and captured two prisoners.

Later, LEWINA was reduced to Category C Reserves and sailed to the United Kingdom for disposal and de-equipping at Sheerness in 1947.

In 1949, she was converted to a pleasure craft at Littlehampton by C.W. Philips Co. Ltd., with A. B. Gavin-Taylor A.M.I.N.A as the designer. Initially owned by Mr. E. Lewis, she was then sold to Mr. E. Watts in Nottingham and used as a houseboat. Her present owner purchased LEWINA in 1999 and began restoration. She is one of only six seaworthy HDMLs left in the world, out of 450 worldwide and 293 that were built in Britain.

We are lacking information about this particular vessel.  If you have any information on this vessel, past or present, please contact us.

Key dates

  • 1941

    Vessel built by Potter Heigham by Herbert Woods Ltd., completed in 1943 as naval vessel HDML 1305

  • 1944

    Vessel fitted for minesweeping and re-assigned to 2nd Division, 141st ML Flotilla

  • 1947

    Vessel reduced to Category C Reserves and sailed to the UK for disposal and de-equipping at Sheerness

  • 1949

    Vessel converted to a pleasure craft at Littlehampton by C.W. Philips Co. Ltd.

  • 1999

    Restoration of vessel began under new private ownership

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Etive Shearwater port side view

Registered, built 1941 by Sussex Shipbuilding Company

HMS Medusa - starboard view

National Historic Fleet, built 1943 by Newman, R A & Sons Ltd, Poole

starboard side view

Registered, built 1940 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes