Registration number 2011
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Ramsgate
Vessel type Self Righter Class Lifeboat
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No

Construction

Builder Rutherford, Birkenhead
Built in 1896
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
10.43 feet (3.18m)
Depth
3.60 feet (1.10m)
Length: Overall
40.00 feet (12.20m)

History

FRANCIS FORBES BARTON is a wooden hulled lifeboat built in 1896 by Rutherford at Birkenhead. She served as the Broadstairs lifeboat from 1897 to 1912 and as the reserve lifeboat at North Deal from 1912 to 1921. She was sold out of service in 1926. She was the last vessel to serve Broadstairs as its lifeboat and during her career two RNLI silver medals were awarded to her crew.

This vessel is a survivor from the First World War. You can read more about her wartime history by visiting our First World War: Britain's Surviving Vessels website www.ww1britainssurvivingvessels.org.uk

Key dates

  • 1896

    Built by Rutherford in Birkenhead as a Self-Righting Lifeboat

  • 1897-1912

    Served as the Broadstairs Lifeboat saving 77 lives

  • 1912-1921

    Served as reserve Lifeboat in North Deal saving 23 lives.  Also during the Great War whilst serving in North Deal, awards were made to all the crew including Silver Medals to the Coxswain and Second Coxswain

  • 1926

    Sold out of service

  • 2000

    Sold to present owner

  • 2016

    Sold to present owner

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Charles Dibdin at Exeter Quayside

Registered, built 1903 by Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, Blackwall

City of Nottingham

Registered, built 1929 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

ISAAC AND MARY BOLTON

Archived, built 1950 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes

Cyril and Lilian Bishop - Hastings

Registered, built 1931 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight