Built in 1934 by Yarwoods, PACIFIC was a tug used on the canal network and has a sister tug called BITTEL. They were numbers 4 & 5 respectively, and were built side-by-side on the same date. Both boats were fitted with new engines by BWB (British Waterways Board) sometime in the 1950s with Lister HA3’s. Both of the tugs worked for Stewarts & Lloyds Tube Works Coombeswood, Birmingham. They went up to the Cannock coal fields to bring back coal to use as fuel for the tube factory. PACIFIC went into the ownership of BWB, however the date is unknown. Here she worked as a tug, towing hoppers and joey boats. Then she went into the hands of Alfred Matty; the last carrying contractor on the BCN (Birmingham Canal Navigation) who used her to tow phosphorus waste to various old mine shafts. She was also used as general tug in the hands of Matty. After Alfred Matty’s death she was allowed to slip into a state of disrepair until she was sold to Rex Wane/Steve Priest and then shortly afterwards went into the hands of Roger Farrington, Ivy Bridge Marine. Roger undertook all the hull work. She was then bought by her present owner who has done much restoration and refurbishment including a complete rebuild of the engine.
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com