Previous names

  • 1930 - 1954 Norah
  • 1954 - 1957 Dog Rose
Certificate no 2035
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Unknown
Vessel type Butty
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1930
Hull material Iron
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Manpower
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
6.10 feet (1.86 m)
Depth
1.00 feet (0.31 m)
Length: Overall
71.00 feet (21.66 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Built in 1930 by W J Yarwood of Northwich for the London Midland & Scottish Railway, DABCHICK is an iron riveted day boat without living accomodation and without an engine (the vessel was either rowed or towed). Under the name NORAH she worked for the railways in the Birmingham area until 1954. She was then sold to Peter Keay & Son of Walsall and renamed DOG ROSE. In 1957 the ownership changed to the Willow Wren Canal Carrying Co. Limited and she was later renamed DABCHICK. Paired with the motor barge AVOCET, she did varying journeys including a cargo of bicycles from the British Cycle Corporation in Smethwick to Brentford for export to Iran and another consignment of bicycles to Manchester. The pair worked in tandem until 1966 when traffic was being lost and the boats were laid up. The next owners were Peter & Joyce Fox and in 1967 Michael Streat of Blue Line Cruisers at Braunston converted her into a hotel boat for the Inland Cruising Company. She was sold to Tony Dennis in 1997 and to  unknown private owners in 1999. From 2007-2020 she was a private leisure craft owned by David & Karen Wilson and based at Shardlow in Derbyshire. Sold in September 2020, current owners unknown. 

Key dates

  • 1930

    Built by Yarwoods of Northwich

  • 1948-1954

    Passed to British Railways to be used in the Birmingham interchange trade

  • 1954

    Sold to Peter Keay & Son of Walsall and renamed Dog Rose

  • 1957

    Sold to the Willow Wren Canal Carrying Co Ltd who later renamed her Dabchick.  She was paired with the motor Avocet

  • 1959

    Carried a load of cottonseed cake and boxed bicyles for export to Iran

  • 1960

    Carried 38tons of glass to Brentford

  • 1963

    Company collapsed

  • 1966

    Sold to Mallard

  • 1966/67

    Pair converted to hotel boats for the Inland Cruising Co.

  • 1997

    Sold to Tony Dennis

  • 1999

    Sold into private ownership

  • 2007- September 2020

    Owned by David & Karen Wilson and moored at Shardlow, Derbyshire as a private leisure craft. Sold in September 2020

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

ALPERTON (foreground) - with motor DARLEY. Stern cabin and tiller  from starboard side.

Registered, built 1936 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Woolwich

stern facing

Registered, built 1960 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Regulus - port quarter

Registered, built 1935 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

ELTON (left) and SOUTHAM  (right) - at Portland Basin. Bow looking aft.

Registered, built 1937 by Walker, W H & Brothers, Rickmansworth