- 1893 - 1956 T.B. Heathorn
BRITANNIA was built in 1893 at the yard of J S Watson (Gainsborough) Limited. She is a tug of iron riveted construction. She was powered by steam until 1957 and then converted to a National diesel engine 360 bhp. Her first name was T.B. HEATHORN. She was delivered to the Gas Light & Coke Company London in 1893 and worked in the gas industry until 1949. She was renamed BRITANNIA in 1956 and sold to the Greenhithe Lighterage Company. At one time she was the standby tug at Tower Bridge and, as such, would have been a much photographed landmark. After further changes in ownership she was laid up in a poor state in Barking Creek. She is currently under renovation being converted to a houseboat on the River Roding in Essex.
Built by J S Watsom Gainsborough
Re-engined with a National Diesel 360BHP/268KW engine
Acquired by Atlas Transport in London
Acquired by Greenhithe Salvage Services in Greenhithe
Acquired by Douglas Steven and Partners for preservation at Butlers Wharf, London
Acquired by new owner for fishing trips
Vessel laid back
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com