Previous names

  • 1957 - 1991 Kieve
Certificate no 3708
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location York
Vessel type Tug
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Thames Launch Works, Twickenham
Built in 1957
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
11.50 feet (3.51 m)
Length: Overall
40.33 feet (12.29 m)
Tonnage: Gross
15.00

History

History

TILBURY towing tug was built by the Thames launch works Ltd Twickenham and was first launched in the port of London and originally called KIEVE. Believed to be used a as an Esso fuel tug on the Thames.

Sold in 1967 to J.P. Knight Ltd Rochester and then later sold in 1991 to Lower Thames Passenger Co Ltd. In1990, she was sold agaon and moved to York where she operated on the River Ouse to move sand barges.

The boat is still in York on the river Ouse and is a very well know boat in the local area and the people and fellow boater are happy to see it being restored and life brought back in to the vessel. At some point in its life it had the engine changed and has a ford d series in her running well.

Key dates

  • 1957

    Built by Thames Launch, Twickenham and called KIEVE

  • 1967

    Sold to J P Knight of Rochester

  • 1991

    Sold to Lower Thames Passenger Co Ltd.

  • 1997

    Renamed TILBURY

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

At the Albert Dock, July 2014

National Historic Fleet, built 1903 by Tranmere Bay Development Co, Birkenhead

Valkyrie as she was named Major

Registered, built 1957 by Vokings & Co, Brentford

TTMS Viking - underway

Registered, built 1965 by Richards Ironworks Co Ltd, Lowestoft

starboard side view

Registered, built 1934 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich