Certificate no 2085
Status Archived


Function Fishing Vessel
Location NONE
Vessel type Looe Lugger
Archive reason Disposed
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No
Web address www.billybray.co.uk


Builder Ferris Boatyard, P, Looe
Built in 1904
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
11.50 feet (3.51 m)
6.50 feet (1.98 m)
Length: Overall
40.33 feet (12.30 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



Built in 1904 by P Ferris Boatyard, West Looe, Cornwall, for R C Clements, BILLY BRAY is a fishing vessel of wood carvel construction designed for sail only. She was decommissioned in 1937. In 1938 she was refitted for sailing specification and was re-rigged with 1000 ft of sail. An 8 cylinder Parsons engine was added giving her a sailing weight of 23 tons. In 1965 she became a sail training vessel and was re-engined with a new 25 hp Perkins diesel engine, at which time her decks were raised to permit greater headroom. Eventually repairs became too expensive and she was abandoned on Sherkin Island from where she was recently recoved by her present owner. BILLY BRAY is one of the very few remaining luggers that had a hull specifically designed for sailing. Although derelict at present, a full restoration is planned to return the boat into launch condition. The descendents of the original owner still live in Looe and the vessel has a special value to the community

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Photo Comp 2012 entry: Guide Me - with luggers Ripple & Barnabas

Registered, built 1911 by Ferris Boatyard, P, Looe

White Heather - underway

Registered, built 1926 by Pearce, Richard, East Looe

port side view

Registered, built 1907 by Angear, J, Looe

Our Daddy new rigging

Registered, built 1921 by Pearce, Richard, East Looe