Certificate no 2090
Status Registered


Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Patrol Boat
Location Bletchley
Vessel type Range Safety Launch
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder British Power Boat Co Ltd. Hythe
Built in 1944
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Unknown
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
12.50 feet (3.81 m)
2.75 feet (0.84 m)
Length: Overall
44.50 feet (13.57 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


AVON was one of the earlier craft to be completed by British Power Boats and was taken on strength by 615 WT Coy at Portsmouth on 29 June 1945. The craft was then fitted with Army specific equipment and subsequently shipped by sea to Malaya on 27 July 1945 for use by 626 Coy. She joined up with FL ALMOND and FL HUMBER in that area, but when they were transferred to Hong Kong, AVON was returned as deck cargo to the UK, arriving at Woolwich on 15 November 1948 and taken on strength by 631 Coy RASC. After a period of storage and refit, AVON was transferred on 29 April 1949 to 632 Coy RASC who operated from nearby Sheerness. Her employment was only for a month as she was further transferred on 18 May 1949 to 644 Coy RASC to be based at Plymouth and then on again a further month later on 19 June 1949 to be based at Menai Bridge, Wales with 616 Coy RASC.

The launch remained in service with the Portsmouth based ompany with a civilian crew until she was laid up for disposal by sale in 1957/58. She was sold on 7 August 1958 to Mr Sprinfield of Maidenhead, Berks. Her first owner was a boat broker - he had also bought another 'river' class FL, consequently by 1963, she was under new ownership in Huntwick, Sussex. By 1966 ownership had transferred to Mr Wells of Bristol and AVON had been renamed LYFORD ANNA III. She had many owners from then on until 1993 she wea renamed FORD ANNA 3 with a Small Ship Register number of 62434.

The craft was offered for sale in September 1997 and subsequently sold to the current owner.


  • April 2011

    A sustainability grant of £1000 for engine and gear box work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

starboard side view

Registered, built 1955 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Woolston, Southampton

port bow

Registered, built 1956 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes

starboard side view

Registered, built 1944 by Curtis, Frank, Looe

Humber in Oulton Broad

National Historic Fleet, built 1945 by British Power Boat Co Ltd. Hythe