Built in 1936 by W J Yarwood of Northwich, STANTON is a narrow boat of the Large Northwich Town class with a steel plated hull and a Lister HA3M diesel engine. She was built for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company, but was subsequently transferred, first to the Docks and Inland Waterways Executive and then to the British Waterways Board in 1963. She was sold to Blue Line Canal Carriers circa 1965 and continued carrying. She was then sold into private ownership in 1971 and used as a pleasure cruiser. She was bought by her current owner in October 2007 in need of much restoration. The structural steel work, rebuilding of a new engine and new wooden fittings in the hold were completed in 2008. Interior of the back cabin was refitted in a traditional manner in 2009. She was repainted in original livery in 2010 and since then, STANTON has attended events around the country where the public have been able to view her.
7 October 2008
A Sustainability Grant of ú2,000 was awarded to STANTON by the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships towards the costs of structural restoration
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com