Built in 1935 by Harland & Wolff at Woolwich, CAPRICORN is a narrow boat of composite construction and has a Lister HA2 diesel engine. She originally had iron sides and an elm bottom which was later replaced with steel. She was built for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company, but spent some time laid up for lack of crews. In 1944, she was working as part of the Womens Training Scheme, set up to replace men who were serving during World War II - and was captained by Daphne French. After the war she was transferred to British Waterways maintenance fleet and sold off in 1964. CAPRICORN was shortened in the 1960s and was extensively restored by the Warwickshire Fly Boat Company in 1985. Her present owner intends to return her to working tug format.
Built by Harland & Wolff, Woolwich
Full restoratiion of vessel
April - June 2010
A Sustainability Grant of £1,200 for cabin rebuild was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org