Certificate no 2096
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Bristol
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Spinks & Ferguson, Chatham
Built in 1917
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
10.50 feet (3.20 m)
Depth
4.25 feet (1.30 m)
Length: Overall
45.10 feet (13.76 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Built in 1917 by Spinks and Ferguson at Chatham, FLASHING STREAM is a leisure craft of timber double diagonal construction. Her current engine is a Gardner 5LW marine diesel installed in 1966. During World War I, the vessel is reported to have served as a Naval pinnace to HMS Marshall Soult. It is believed that her steam engine was removed in the immediate post World War II years when she was sold out of service and converted to a pleasure motor cruiser. She is believed to be the last remaining one of the five built for the Admiralty. Her present use is as a houseboat based in Bristol.

This vessel is a survivor from the First World War. You can read more about her wartime history by visiting our First World War: Britain's Surviving Vessels website www.ww1britainssurvivingvessels.org.uk

Key dates

  • 1917

    Built by Spinks & Ferguson in Chatham as a Naval Pinnace for HMS Marshall Soult for the Admiralty

  • 1946

    Sold out of service to the present owner and converted to a Private Motor Cruiser.  The vessel has remained a ‘gentlmen’s yacht’ since this time

Grants

  • April 2008 - March 2

    A Sustainability Grant of ú1500 towards deck work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Albaquila sailing

Registered, built 1947 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G