Previous names

  • 1950 TRAUMEREI
  • 1953 LADY BERYL
Certificate no 2282
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Launch
Location Newport
Vessel type Broads Sailing Cruiser
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Windboats, Wroxham
Built in 1950
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
10.50 feet (3.20 m)
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
43.00 feet (13.12 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



LADY BERYL is a Norfolk Broads Sailing Cruiser which was built in 1950 in Wroxham. She is a unique, custom-built boat, having been designed by Graham Bunn and built by Windboats. She is one of the largest Broads cruisers ever built. Her original name was TRAUMEREI. She is of timber construction and was fitted with a Ford model 6.31 diesel engine. She was registered as a British ship with the number 167722.

The vessel was later owned by the entertainer George Formby, who renamed her after his wife. LADY BERYL cruised the Norfolk Broads in the 1950s until their deaths in 1960/61. Since then, she has had a number of owners. Her owner in 1973 was Cyril Scott of  London and in 1985 she was owned by Melvyn Ryan of Old Windsor. More recently she has been used as a houseboat. 


Key dates

  • 1950

    Norfolk Broads Sailing Cruiser designed by Graham Bunn and built by Windboats in Wroxham


  • 1953

    Bought by George Formby who renamed her after his wife

  • 1957

    Sold to new owner when George Formby commissioned new vessel LADY BERYL II


  • 1973

    Her owner in 1973 was Cyril Scott of London 

  • 1985

    In 1985 she was owned by Melvyn Ryan of Old Windsor 

  • 2010

    More recently she has been used as a houseboat 

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

bow view

Registered, built 1966 by Powles, Jack

starboard bow

Registered, built 1964 by Newson, F

Port side view looking aft

Archived, built 1939 by Robinson, Leo, Oulton Broad

Evening Flight on a mooring, port side view

Registered, built 1939 by Wood, Herbert, Potter Heigham