Built in 1958, RAYMOND is the last wooden narrowboat constructed in the UK. She worked for Samuel Barlow Coal Company carrying coal from North Warwicks to paper mills around Watford and then Kearley & Tonge's Jam factory at Southall. The boat passed to the ownership of Blue Line Canal Carriers in 1962 and continued her working life with Nutfield until carrying ceased in 1970. She was then lived on by the Bray & Collins families until being rebuilt by the charity since 1999. RAYMOND is an excellent example of the wooden butty (non-powered) built by yards such as Nursers for carrying goods on the Midlands canals. She was the last boat built for the famous Barlow carrying fleet and exhibits their high standard of construction and standard of decoration. The boat is associated with the Bray and Collins families who famously worked the last carrying contracts from the North Warwicks Coalfields to the Jam factory at Southall. RAYMOND'S construction and launch are well documented and the charity has faithfully maintained her as she was originally built. The boat attends shows on the Midland Canals and is open to the public as an educational exhibit and is based at the Braunston Marina beside the yard where she was orginally constructed. RAYMOND has featured in numerous documentaries about canal history because of her historical signficance.
HNBC: Steaming up for the 13th Braunston Narrow Boat Rally, pp37, 2015/2
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com