Registration number 2129
Status Registered
a12admin

Previous names

  • 1830 - 1886 One
  • 1886 - 2020 William and Emily

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Pilot Vessel
Location Gweek
Vessel type Pilot Cutter
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No

Construction

Builder Silk, Thomas, St Helier
Built in 1830
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
12.50 feet (3.81m)
Depth
6.50 feet (1.98m)
Length: Overall
46.00 feet (14.03m)

History

One of the oldest smacks afloat, ONE is believed to have been built in the Channel Isles in the 1830s as a cargo vessel for the Essex import-export business. In the 19th century Jersey’s main source of export income was early market garden produce for the luxury markets of southern England. Originaly built as a pilot cuter by Thomas Silk in St Helier, she was used around Jesey until 1836 where she was sold and converted to a oyster dredger. The cargoes would probably have included potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, salad and early flowers. (An alternative account, by Robert Simper, has it that ONE was built in the Channel Isles as a smack, and was used by Essex owners to dredge oysters off the French coast from the port of Gorey, Jersey; in fact both accounts may have some truth as smacks working off Jersey sometimes also carried  farm produce in the summer).

In 1886 ONE was rebuilt by the Drake family of Tollesbury, Essex and re-named  WILLIAM AND MARY, after being in storage for over 20 years after being used as a payment for a bad debt. Her original lute stern was cut off to leave a flat stern. As a gaff-rigged sailing smack of carvel timber construction she fished the waters off East Anglia. Under her skipper, Navy Mussett, she went up the Thames for Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1897.

In 1933 a Gardner engine was installed and she then became a leading fishing vessel in the Tollesbury fleet, acting also as a tow-boat to other vessels which lacked engines. The Drake family owned and worked on the smack until the late 1960s, when she was sold to a doctor. In the early 1970s she was sold to the Fellowship Afloat Association for sail training. In the late 1980s the association had the mid section rebuilt and extended to return WILLIAM AND EMILY to her original 46ft. She was later de-rigged and used as a houseboat, in St Osyth Creek, passing through several owners’ hands.

In 2000 she was bought and moved to the smack dock in Brightlingsea for a major refit (during which her original lute stern was reinstated). WILLIAM AND EMILY (CK 212) was re-launched in 2004.  In 2018 she was purchased by her current owner who hopes to restore her back to her original 1830 design.

 

Key dates

  • 1830s

    Believed to have been built in the Channel Isles as cargo vessel for Essex import-export business

  • 1886

    Converted into fishing smack by Drake family of Tollesbury, Essex

  • 1897

    Went up Thames for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee under her skipper Navy Mussett

  • 1933

    Gardner engine installed and joined Tollesbury fishing fleet

  • 1960s

    Smack owned and worked on by Drake family until late 1960s when sold to doctor

  • early 1970s

    Sold to Fellowship Afloat Association for sail training

  • late 1980s

    Association had mid section rebuilt and extended to return her to original 46ft

  • 1990s

    De-rigged and used as houseboat in St Osyth Creek, passing through several owners

  • 2000

    Bought by new owner and moved to smack dock in Brightlingsea for major refit 

  • 2004

    Re-launched and based at Brightlingsea where she is available for charters

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

MV Landward starboard side

Archived, built 1960 by Philip & Sons, Dartmouth

Olga undersail, after her restoration

National Historic Fleet, built 1909 by Bowden, J, Porthleven

Mascotte - starboard view, under sail

National Historic Fleet, built 1904 by Cox, Thomas & Son, Newport

DOLPHIN alongside Gloucester, port quarter view

Archived, built 1909 by Bowden, J, Porthleven