Previous names

  • 1949 - 1960 Pegasus
  • 1960 - 1996 Sea Victor
Certificate no 2362
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Crinan
Vessel type Racing Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No
Web address


Builder Mattiesen & Paulsen, Kiel, North Germany
Built in 1938
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
8.75 feet (2.67 m)
5.80 feet (1.77 m)
Length: Overall
40.00 feet (12.20 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


HILTGUND was designed by Karl Martens and built by Mattiesen & Paulsen in 1938 near Kiel as part of the German Naval fleet and was originally a racing yacht for naval personnel.

After the Second World War, she arrived in England as part of the fleet of yachts which was requisitioned as war reparations (known as the windfalls). By 1949 she had been renamed PEGASUS and was owned by the Royal Naval College at Dartmouth.

Later, in the 1960s it is believed she was stationed at the Royal Naval Barracks at Portsmouth and known as SEA VICTOR. By the mid 1960s she had passed into private ownership in the Isle of Man and was bought by Nigel Gilkes in 1977 as an empty hull. After remedial work she was certified as seaworthy in 1980.

In 1984 she was up for sale and particulars issued by Ancasta Marine Brokerage of Gosport show a good inventory of sails, new spars, an engine and downstairs accommodation for 5 people. Her owner in 1990 was Malcolm Brown and she passed to Peter Wilson in 1996 who comprehensively rebuilt her at the Aldeburgh Boatyard in Suffolk and reverted to her original name HILTGUND.

Since 2001 she has been cruised and raced by her current owners on the West Coast of Scotland.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Noryema II - 2021

Registered, built 1961 by King, William & Sons, Burnham on Crouch

At Maldon Regatta

Registered, built 1930 by Berthon Boat Co Ltd, Lymington

Saskia restored

Registered, built 1930 by Fife, William & Son, Fairlie

Linette - Photo Comp 2011 entry

Registered, built 1926 by Berthon Boat Co Ltd, Lymington