Certificate no 2418
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Dartmouth
Vessel type Yawl
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No
Web address www.saunterer.co.uk


Builder Sibbick, Charles & Co, Cowes
Built in 1900
Hull material Wood
Rig Bermudan
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
10.25 feet (3.13 m)
6.60 feet (2.01 m)
Length: Overall
47.00 feet (14.34 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


SAUNTERER is a yacht of timber carvel construction rigged as a yawl. She has a Beta diesel engine and was built by Charles Sibbick of Cowes in 1900. She was commisioned in 1899 and completed in 1900 for Mr J Simpson who had her own racing flag. Then, she was sold to Captain L.E.G. Oates of Antarctic fame. After his death, SAUNTERER passed to Thos Belt, a propriotor of a rope and canvas business in Bigg Market. She was later sold to three Army or RAF personnel between the wars and her first engine was fitted. The Sutherland family bought her in 1961, owning her until 2008 when the current owners purchased her. She was used in the 1970s as a charter vessel. SAUNTERER has undergone various re-fits, although most of the planking, frames, deck, keel and some interior remain original.


Classic Boat: Classic Boat Restoration of the Year Awards, January 2012
Classic Boat: First Sea Lord welcomes Saunterer into Royal Navy, May 2011
Classic Boat: Captain Oates' Saunterer returns to help heroes, July 2012

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Sails of Dawn

Archived, built 1968 by McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire

MOOSK starboard side

Registered, built 1906 by Thomas, W E, Falmouth

Molin under sail

Registered, built 1929 by Burt, R S

Coigach - under sail (c) David Denholm

Registered, built 1963 by McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire