Certificate no 2436
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Bangor
Vessel type Yawl
Current use Unknown
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Stow & Sons, Shoreham
Built in 1895
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Yawl
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
10.06 feet (3.07 m)
Depth
6.75 feet (2.06 m)
Length: Overall
47.00 feet (14.34 m)
Tonnage: Gross
16.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

VALERIE was originally built as a yawl circa 1895. She was later cutter rigged and latterly became a schooner. She has undergone a five year on-and-off restoration returning her to her original form as a clipper bowed, Victorian gentleman's yacht.  She raced at the OGA festival 2013.

We are lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.

Key dates

  • 1895

    Built by Stow & Son, Shoreham for Thomas Stow

  • 1912

    Transferred to Ireland

  • 1916

    Thought to have been involved in gun running for the IRA

  • 1922

    Acquired by Alexander Cochran CBE and returned to the West Country

  • 1936

    Still owned by Cochran and located at Dartmouth

  • 1939

    Converted to cutter rig, and later to schooner rig

  • late 1950s

    Several changes of ownership follwoign death of Cochrane 

  • 1972

    Acquired by Richard Biddle, a Somerset based solicitor 

  • 1970s

    Following removal of copper sheathing 80% of planking replaced

  • 2012

    Substantial restoration carried out between 2006 and 2012

  • 2013

    Vessel relaunched following completion of restoration and put up for sale

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Sails of Dawn

Archived, built 1968 by McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire

MOOSK starboard side

Registered, built 1906 by Thomas, W E, Falmouth

Molin under sail

Registered, built 1929 by Burt, R S

Coigach - under sail (c) David Denholm

Registered, built 1963 by McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire