Certificate no 2490
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Staffs and Worcester Canal
Vessel type Josher
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Saltley Dock
Built in 1914
Hull material Iron
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Air Draft
5.50 feet (1.68 m)
Breadth: Beam
7.00 feet (2.14 m)
Depth
3.00 feet (0.92 m)
Length: Overall
70.50 feet (21.50 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00

History

PETREL is a narrow boat of iron plate construction with a Lister HR2 diesel engine. She was built in 1914 by Fellows Morton & Clayton at Saltley Dock, Birmingham. She remained in the FMC fleet nationalisation, then transferred to D&IWE south eastern fleet. Her Bolinder engine was removed and an Armstrong Merganser fitted by them in the 1950s. PETREL was hired in the 1960s from British Waterways by Willow Wren but never actually used by them for carrying. She was reposessed by British Waterways and sold to Union Canal Carriers and re engined by them in the 1970s. Bought by her present owners in 1981 from UCC, she is maintained in carrying condition.

Key dates

  • 1914 Built by Fellows Morton & Clayton
  • 1950s Original Bolinder engine removed and Armstrong Merganser engine fitted
  • 1960s Hired from British Waterways by Willow Wren
  • 1960s Repossessed by British Waterways and sold to Union Canal Carriers
  • 1970s Re-engined with Lister HR2 diesel engine
  • 1981 Bought by present owners

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

England - aerial view, moored

Registered, built 1904 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Saltley Dock

Hawk

Registered, built 1927 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Lynx - bow view 2018

Registered, built 1913 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Saltley Dock

Trout - stern view

Registered, built 1936 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich