NELLIE is a Thames Sailing Barge of timber construction with a Ford Marine diesel engine. She was built by G & C Cremer at Hollow Shore, Faversham in 1901. The vessel was used as a working barge and owned by Daniels Brothers. During World War II she was used for barrage work in the Thames. Later, she was bought by Lapthorns at Hoo and converted to a motor barge. She was then laid up as a houseboat in 1962 and bought by her present owner in February 1972. NELLIE is the last Faversham barge still in existence and is now rigged as a 'stumpy' barge so the owner can sail single handed.
- 1901 Built as a spritsail barge
- 1960 converted to a motor barge
- 1962/1972 sold as a house barge
- 1984 1st phase restoration
- 1990 2nd phase restoration
- 1991/1993 3rd phase restoration
- 1995 4th phase restoration
- 2000 5th phase restoration
- 2001 New oak leeboards and fittings
- 2002-3 Lower half of transom replaced and stern replanked with elm
- 2003 New mizzen mast designed and fitted
- 2004 Sprit extended and new larger sail made
- 2005 Whole of ship's doubling replaced
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org