Previous names

  • Erica II BA26
Certificate no 2568
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Ring-netter
Location Oban
Vessel type MFV
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Weatherhead, William & Son, Cockenzie
Built in 1947
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker
Boiler fuel diesel

Dimensions

Length: Overall
54.00 feet (16.46 m)
Breadth: Beam
16.50 feet (5.03 m)
Depth
5.90 feet (1.80 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

AMARANTH LH253 was built in 1947 and owned by the McCreath Brothers from launch.  Based in Peel on the Isle of Man, the vessel once landed a 110 cran shot of herring on 3 September 1948.  She worked from the Isle of Man to the West of Scotland via Ireland, retiring from fishing in 1991 and has been used as a motor yacht ever since.  AMARANTH had her original Kelvin k4 replaced in 1961 with a Kelvin T4.

Key dates

  • 1949 Vessel built by Weatherheads in Cockenzie, Scotland
  • 1948 Landed a 110 cran shot of herring on 3rd September, fishing off the Isle of Man
  • 1961 Original Kelvin k4 engine was replaced with a Kelvin T4
  • 1991 Retired from fishing to be used as a motor yacht

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Progress of Whitby - bow. Taken 2010 after launch.

Registered, built 1935 by Reekie, Walter, Anstruther

Starbuck moored

Registered, built 1943 by Carnie in Scotland

starboard side view

Registered, built 1944 by Unknown

port side view

Registered, built 1946 by Kris Cruisers Ltd., Isleworth