COOYA was built in 1914 as a topsail auxilliary gaff yawl by Aldous Ltd of Brightlingsea to a design by Linton Hope. She is constructed of Burma Teak on English Oak. Her current engine is a Perkins diesel model 704-30 installed in 2004.
In her long life COOYA has had seventeen owners, the first being Andrew McIlwraith, a Scottish shipowner. During the 1930s she gained some reputation as a racing boat. During much of the Second World War she was laid up in a mud berth in the Hamble River and was cared for by Camper & Nicholsons. Post war she resumed her racing and cruising life.
With regular upgrading and maintenance the vessel remains in commission as an ocean going yacht and has sailed approximately 30,000 miles, visiting 30 countries on 5 continents in the last 10 years.
Sold to Alfred Henry John Hamilton RN of Dibden Manor, Hampshire
Built as gaff yawl with Grays paraffin auxiliary motor by Aldous Ltd, Brightlingsea
Sold to Captain Mellonie of Ipswich, Suffolk
Sold to Mr David Christian Wardlaw of Leadenhall St, London
Sold to Tom Hamilton Cockburn-Mercer of Folkstone, Kent
Sold to Edmund Gore-Lloyd of Shepperton, Middlesex when she gained some reputation as a racing boat
Sold to Guy de Courcy Glover of London
Sold to George Beaumont Butler of Brentury, Bristol
Sold to Camper & NicholsonsLtd of Gosport Hants
Sold to George Edward Browne of Bourne End Bucks
Sold to Edward Tyler of Chislehurst, Kent, where she again raced successfully winning the Janes Cup race from Medway Yacht Club to the Sandetti Lighthouse in 1952
Converted to Bermudian yawl with wheel steering and new teak coachroof forming deck saloon
Her decks were fully fibreglassed, the first ever use of fibreglass on a yacht Edward Tyler founded the Tyler Boat Co, building the first ever fibreglass yacht, “Glass Slipper
Sold to Percy and Barbara Foley of Salcombe, Devon
Sold to William and Jane Carr of Downpatrick, N Ireland and moved to Strangford Loch
1950s coachroof strengthened and reduced in height and self draining cockpit fitted. Various other modifications for ocean sailing
Sold to Colin Palmer and her present owner, Mike Yendell who took full ownership in 1976
Major refit including new Perkins engine
She carried out a 3,000 mile cruise from Scotland, around the Baltic before returning via the Kiel Canal
Vessel sailed south to the Eastern Mediterranean, wintering in Antalya
She cruised the Mediterranean, Aegean, Marmara and Black Sea coasts of Turkey to Poti then to Yalta and Sevastopol to winter in Koilada, Greece
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com