Certificate no 2629
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Unknown
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Staniland & Co, Thorne
Built in 1939
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
38.50 feet (11.73 m)
Breadth: Beam
10.50 feet (3.20 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Air Draft
11.00 feet (3.35 m)
Tonnage: Gross
12.00

History

MAJESSA  is a leisure craft of timber construction built in 1939 by Staniland & Co of Thorne. She has twin BMC diesel engines.

MAJESSA is one of only two of the 38ft 6ins size Gentleman's Motor-Yachts of a series designed by Arthur Comben during the 1930s to a traditional break-deck style, having a sunken central wheelhouse and owner's stateroom aft.

MAJESSA,, yard number 199, was first commissioned in 1939, but not completed and launched in Thorne until 1947. In April 1949 she was the subject of a dedicated article in the North Sea Yachtsman Magazine.

MAJESSA'S first registered owner in 1947 was William Spowage of Woolaton Vale. John Aharlow of Worksop became her second owner in 1954, followed three years later by Godfrey Holmes Ltd. of Lincoln and a few months later by William Fieldsend of Sheffield. In 1960 Harry Harrop of Rotherham acquired the vessel and kept her on the River Ouse. Stanley Quintell of Bradford became the next registered owner in 1968 followed by Paul Moore (RN) of Beverley in 1986. He transported MAJESSA out to Gibraltar where the next owner was Anthony Gordon in 1987. Back on the River Thames in 1989 Colin Kidd bought MAJESSAfollowed shortly after by David Clarke of Romsley who moved the vessel on to the River Avon at Tewkesbury. In the ownership of David Cadman in 1992 MAJESSA spent a few years on Lake Windermere before being restored on the South Coast. She once more returned to familiar waters on the non tidal River Severn and Avon at Pershore in 2005 in the present ownership.

Key dates

  • 1939 Built by Staniland & Co of Thorne
  • 1980s BMC engines fitted replacing old Morris ones
  • September 2018

    Vessel advertised for sale via Classic Yacht Brokerage

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G

Delfino on mooring at Rhu

Registered, built 1965 by Atrill & Sons, H

Anaurus and bokke crop saskia

Registered, built 1937 by Fox C & Sons, Ipswich

Llys-Helig moored in Conwy, 1950s

Registered, built 1922 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Woolston, Southampton