Certificate no 2672
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Pinnace
Location Southwold
Vessel type MFV
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Curtis, Frank, Looe
Built in 1943
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed
Length: Overall
48.00 feet (14.63 m)
Breadth: Beam
12.00 feet (3.66 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)

History

OYSTER BOY was built in 1943 by Frank Curtis of Looe as a Naval Pinnace for the Admiralty.  She is of carvel construction, has a larch hull on steamed oak frames and a Gardner 4LW diesel engine.  Her lines are based upon early C20th fishing boats, but the construction is lighter.

The vessel was first registered as a private motor yacht in 1957 at Birdham Pool, Chichester Harbour. 

It has been in private ownership ever since and for over thirty years it was moored on the Tidal Thames in London. Since spring 2016 the boat can now usually seen on the East Coast between the Blackwater and Lowestoft.

 

 

 

 

Key dates

  • 1943

    Built by Frank Curtis of Looe for the Admiralty

  • 1957

    First registered as a private motor yacht

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Golden View - at Tarbert

Registered, built 1956 by Irvin, Richard & Sons

Progress of Whitby - bow. Taken 2010 after launch.

Registered, built 1935 by Reekie, Walter, Anstruther

Treshnish side view

Registered, built 1945 by Unknown

Port side view, underway

Registered, built 1947 by Weatherhead, William & Son, Cockenzie