Certificate no 2789
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Southwold
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight
Built in 1938
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
45.00 feet (13.72 m)
Breadth: Beam
11.00 feet (3.35 m)
Depth
5.50 feet (1.68 m)
Air Draft
8.25 feet (2.51 m)
Tonnage: Gross
23.01

History

MAGYAR was the very last private motor cruiser built by Saunders Roe of Cowes, Isle of Wight, built in 1938/9 and sold to Squadron Leader by R.J.A Ford just on the eve of Second World War.

She is an extremely high quality 'Gentleman's Motor Yacht' and represents the finest of her type available before the war.

The vessel is of carvel construction with a hull of Burma teak on rock elm timbers with upperworks and deck also in Burma teak.  Her interior is panelled in 'polished Austrian oak' and she was originally equipped with twin 6 cylinder Gray petrol engines.  The vessel was commandeered and compulsorily acquired in 1942 and used for miscellaneous naval duties, based at Portsmouth.  She was returned to her original owner after the war.

Sold by Ford at some time between 1954 and 1963 she passed through several ownerships until found being used as a houseboat in the South of France and purchased by her present owner in February 2014.

MAGYAR has just undergone a complete rebuild between 2014 and 2018 at Harbour Marine Services in Southwold, Suffolk and is now based near Henley on Thames for 2019 where she is available for charter.  Please see www.classiccruising.co.uk for details.

 

Key dates

  • 1938-9

    Built by Saunders Roe of Cowes Isle of Wight

  • 1939

    Sold to her first owner, Squadron Leader R.J.A Ford

  • 1942

    Commandeered for war service

  • 1945

    Returned to her original owner

  • 1954/1963

    Owned by Co. T.G.Wilkinson

  • 1963/1970

    Owned by T.T Curry

  • 1970/2003

    Owned by J.Wallrock

  • 2003/2007

    Owned by B.Macey

  • 2009/2014

    Owned by M.Lamaison and B.Delmas

  • 2014

    Purchased by current owner

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Chelengk at moorings August 2016

Registered, built 1963 by Rutherford, Birkenhead

Spero back home

Registered, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Gerfalcon mooring

Registered, built 1937 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Shuna - port side view

Archived, built 1935 by McLean, Hugh & Sons Ltd, Govan