Certificate no 2816
Status Registered


Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Nantwich
Vessel type Admiral Class
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1960
Hull material Steel
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Length: Overall
70.33 feet (21.44 m)
Breadth: Beam
6.83 feet (2.08 m)
3.00 feet (0.91 m)
Tonnage: Gross


MOUNTBATTEN was built in 1960 by Yarwoods in Northwich for use as a carrying narrowboat, paired with butty JELLICOE. She is one of only two motors built by Yarwoods for this class. She was built for BTC and worked by the Anderton Canal Carrying Co as a motor driven narrowboat as a carrying vessel in the North West. When carrying ceased, she was used as private vessel. She was sold for private use in 1984 and has since been used as a commercial vessel servicing the canals with diesel and coal deliveries. She was the first boat to use the newly refurbished Anderton Boat Lift in 2002. Admiral Class narrowboats were a new class and design to be commissioned and were the first class to be built with a 6ft 10inch beam, allowing them to fit into the narrower Cheshire locks,  paving the way for the modern narrow boat build. They also have a very shallow draught allowing them to travel with ease through the shallow Cheshire canals.

The vessel was named after Admiral of the Fleet Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma.

Key dates

  • 1960

    Built by  W J Yarwood

  • 1930

    Commissioned by BTC and worked by ACCCo

  • 1970 - 1984

    Change of onwership

  • 1986 - 2014

    Change of ownership

  • 2014

    New owners

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Restored Effingham starboard facing

Registered, built 1958 by Pimblott, Isaac & Co Ltd, Northwich

Lindsay - port side

Registered, built 1959 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

COLINGWOOD (left) and ASH (right) -  stern from starboard quarter looking forward.

Registered, built 1959 by Pimblott, Isaac & Co Ltd, Northwich