Previous names

  • Gaviotta
Certificate no 2893
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Ipswich
Vessel type Yawl
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Whites of Itchen, Southampton
Built in 1912
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Yawl
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
71.00 feet (21.64 m)
Breadth: Beam
11.09 feet (3.38 m)
Depth
7.22 feet (2.20 m)
Air Draft
59.06 feet (18.00 m)
Tonnage: Gross
15.72

History

DUET was built as a gaff yawl, a leisure craft and was owned since 1932 by famous Essex Courtauld family, first of which was explorer Augustine Courtauld. Used for intelligence and reconnaissance in the Second World War, she then went on to be the founder boat of UK sail training, originally with Ocean Youth Club, now with Cirdan Sailing Trust.

She won the Gaffers Class 1975, the Fastnet Oldest Competitor of 2013, the Fastnet First overall Tall Ships Race winner in 1983 & 1994, the Overall winner of the Tall Ships Regatta 2014 plus numerous other race accolades..

In 2012 Rev Christopher Courtauld set up a legacy fund to help maintain the vessel and ensure her continuation in sail training. 

In February 2019 it was reported that DUET was recently re-launched at Fox's Marina and Boatyard, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Sources

Classic Boat: Nominee for 'Restored Sailing Vessel' over 40ft, Classic Boat 2020 Awards, February 2020
Classic Boat: Duet relaunch after refit,
March 2019

Key dates

  • 1912

    built by White Bros. Southampton

  • 1915

    Bought by Konsul Heinrich and based in Germany

  • 1927

    Bought by J G Burroughs, Burnham

  • 1932

    Bought by the Courtauld family

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

MOOSK starboard side

Registered, built 1906 by Thomas, W E, Falmouth

Molin under sail

Registered, built 1929 by Burt, R S

Coigach - under sail (c) David Denholm

Registered, built 1963 by McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire

port side view

Registered, built 1900 by Whites of Itchen, Southampton