Built in 1889 by John Howard POLLY was originally built as a transom sterned smack and is the last fishing smack to work commecially without an engine. She was specifically built for Wal and Ernie Pitt and used by them as a fishing vessel up until she was purchased by John Kemp and used to teach YHA girls how to sail. POLL won the 1960 Maldon Regatta with the aforementioned on board by taking a short cut on the inside of Osea Island. In her next ownership, by Ian Hunter-Edmonds, she rolled over off Southwold harbour and lost her mast. Thereafter she was purchased by John Hickman, the Brighthlingsea Harbour’s master, who attached her to a telegraph pole and pulled her up onto the saltings so that major works could be carried out and she was anchored to mark the boundary of the Colne Smack Preservation Society’s dock. After 17 years, she was then purchased from John Hickman and has since been used as a recreational fishing, cruising, and racing vessel. POLLY still has her original wet well, a frame dated back to 1881, and the original transom. She also has part of her original windlass and a flax mainsail believe to be over 80 years old.
Built as a fishing vessel for Wal and Ernie Pitt
Transform stern altered to a counter stern
Sold to John Kemp
Sold to Ian Hunter-Edmonds
Sold to John Hickman
Sold to current owner
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com