Certificate no 3008
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Beaulieu
Vessel type Sloop
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No
Web address www.rafayacht.com


Builder Berthon Boat Co Ltd, Lymington
Built in 1962
Hull material Wood
Rig Bermudan
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Length: Overall
43.17 feet (13.16 m)
Breadth: Beam
10.08 feet (3.07 m)
6.33 feet (1.93 m)
Tonnage: Gross



Designed by the well-known and innovative Robert Clark as the 4th of 4 very similar boats. RAFAELLE was designed to offer enough space for a family to cruise but offer strong performance for racing and rated as such. She was built by Berthon's (build number 931) in Lymington to Lloyds 100 A1 specification (see Lloyds Register). Her classification no longer valid. She was commissioned by R J Howard and rated by both the RORC and the Deutschen Segler-Verbandes in 1965 (documentation available). Many of the original plans are available, as is the Clarke headed notepaper builder's specification (full record available via Berthon). Her topsides in 1" teak with pitch pine below the waterline, her planks are 3/4 the length of the hull and 85% of the planking is original. She has a long lead keel with solid, original teak deck, and original pine boom with original bronze roller reefing mechanism. She has been fitted with replacement aluminium mast and her original bronze winches and deck fittings (anchor windlass replaced). Where nav. lights have been replaced they remain in their original position and have been replaced in bronze and copper to match the original designs. She still has her original layout below deck, including her original Blake's heads/sink etc. with original solid teak cabin soles throughout, and her cockpit, doghouse, dorades, etc. are all original as well. Whereever fittings have had to be replaced internally due to corrosion, i.e., two of the saloon lights, they have been replaced with like for like Davey fittings to retain originality. Her stuart petrol engine was replaced in approx. 1972 with a diesel unit. Her hull and all brightwork, inside and out, have been stripped back to bare wood to identify all issues. Her fastenings have been checked, with some needing refastening with bronze screws to the bow area. She has been completely re-caulked and splined in certain areas and various graving pieces have been used to replace soft areas. One 4' section of teak planking has been replaced with teak. 12' of teak toe rail and toe rail caping replaced on port / starboard in teak. Her rudder has been removed and repaired and three galvinised floors removed, cleaned, re-galvinsed and refitted. All 160 through hull galvanised bolts removed and replaced. All through hull fittings replaced in bronze. Her electrics have been updated to modern standards (original control panels kept in situ, and anything new hidden behind teak panelling). Her engine has been taken out, rebuilt and replaced, and her original galvanised fuel and water tanks have been removed, cleaned and reinstalled. All fuel lines have been replaced, x2 fuel filters fitted. A pressurised hot water system has been installed (discretely) and an electric anchor windlass has been installed. Her rig /sail plan is as was originally designed - simply overhauled via a local sailmaker. Her hull has been repainted /antifouled inside and out, and all brightwork re-varnished.

Key dates

  • 1961

    Designed in June 1961

  • 1961-1962

    Build year and launched June 1962

  • 1962-1964

    Owned by J H Howard, England Lloyd's survey executed

  • 1964

    100 A1 certificate issued

  • 1964

    Mr Hermann Haltermann of Hamburg, Germany

  • Approx. 1972

    Petrol engine replaced with diesel unit

  • Approx. 2000

    Considerable work carried out to replace 70% of the floors

  • 2002-2015

    Owner in Holland

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Out sailing

Registered, built 1936 by Abeking & Rasmussen, Bremen

starboard side view

Registered, built 1951 by Curtis & Pape, Looe

Thekla - at her mooring

Registered, built 1958 by Busumer-Schiffsmert, W & E Sielaff

Llandoger Trow following restoration

Registered, built 1962 by Curtis & Pape, Looe